Before I go over how you can start with affiliate marketing, and begin earning an income by doing so, lets look into what affiliate marketing is all about.
So here is the Wikipedia description of Affiliate Marketing:
“Affiliate marketing is a marketing practice in which a business rewards one or more affiliates for each visitor or customer brought about by the affiliate’s marketing efforts”
So in No Nonsense terms you will be rewarded when you help a business by promoting their products or services, and the business sets out how much % you will be paid for each of the products that you are selling for them. So lets say you sign up to Amazon Affiliates for instance and you send a few visitors to your unique affiliate link and these visitors decide to make a purchase, you get paid commission on their purchase.
One of the biggest advantages to affiliate marketing is that you dont have to actually create a product for your self your selling someone elses product after they have done all the work. This makes it quick, easy and even cheap for you to make money online.
How does affiliate marketing work?
So now that you know the basics of affilliate marketing I will go into more detail about how it all works and how you can start to earn an income. So before you start with wanting to make money with affilliate marketing you need to make sure you choose the right company and products to suit your needs. The following factors apply when chooosing your affilliate program:
- Are you branding yourself into a particular niche?
- Does the program have a good set of promotional tools available
- Minimum payout for the products you will promote
- Have you used it yourself? If not would you buy it?
- Do they have good customer service if you needed them.
- What is the sales letter like and is the website professional enough.
When you have chosen a program or product to promote you will be given a unique code that will be added to all the affilliate links you will use to promote the product, this way any sales that occur, when a visitor visits your link, will be tagged to you.
Always read terms and conditions.. but no need to spend a week reading it all!
We all know that terms and conditions are always going to be dragged out to a weeks worth of reading, you dont have to read every single line, just concentrate on the important factors such as:
- Rules and guidlines of the program
- Advertising - what is allowed
- How long is your Affiliate cookie which tracks your sale
Done for you programs
Most affiliate programs will offer ready made text links, banners and other forms of creative copies whereby you only have to copy the code and place it on your website to start referring traffic. When interested visitors click on these links from your site they get redirected to the product site which you signed up to as an affiliate.
When you join HTAM - High Ticket Affiliate Marketing, this involves products that sell for $1000 upwards, you will usually need a good sales letter and website. My Inbox Project is a great HTAM to join as literally everything is done for you ! You even get your own sales team that closes the sales for you after a visitor has signed up under one of your links.
You don’t need to sell products all the time to make a commission.
Different affiliate programs can use different payment terms, here are the 3 main terms for affiliate marketing:
- Pay per Sale: In this program a merchant pays you a percentage of the sale price when the purchase is completed.
- Pay per Click: Also known as PPC, you get paid based on the number of visitors you redirect to the Merchant’s website from your affiliate site, whether or not a sale is made.
- Pay per Lead: You get paid once the referred visitors provide their contact information on the target site by filling out a simple contact form.
So now you have the basic knowledge on affiliate marketing you can hopefully start thinking about what programs you can dive into, i recommend heading to ClickBank to start off small and then if you want to try HTAM either contact me or just Google me..and you will see a good program there ;) .
Are you already an affiliate marketer ? Whats your views? please comment below any information you would like to add or discuss, please do not post any links, this is a No-Nonsense Discussion!